Tuesday 5 July 2011

10 Things I Miss Most About PINAS




Philippines might be one of the most impoverished and corrupted countries in the world. But hey, no matter how infamous and despicable this nation might be, it is still my HOME.

In another attempt to redeem my sanity, I have carefully laid out some of the best reasons why an average £700 return fare is worth it.

  1. Isaw tops my list. I know some OFW's are awfully blessed to have the flair on cooking this “precious” delicacy. But much more than the food, it is the experience of eating street foods per se that makes it all the more enticing. Did I mention how my heart skips for absolute elation for every sight of red hotdogs, quail eggs (wek-wek), fishballs, kikiam, dugo (tustado please), and Php20 Pizza (ketchup n cheese)... I am a certified jologs by heart so these foods take my excitement level 100 notch higher...

  1. Siksikan sa MRT/LRT that your face is almost fitted flat on the train doors. I know these really sounds weird (not to mention mabaho and pawisan especially during peak times!) but for a guy who is used to take the Tayuman-Monumento route – this is one heck of a train ride.. but I miss it.. It molded me to the jologs person that I am now..

  1. Pagsakay sa harap ng Jeep habang umaandar dahil ayaw mo sumakay sa jeep na naghihintay pa ng pasahero sa loading area.. I love hopping in to the front seat. I remember one time, ako na kumukha ng pamasahe patalikod.. Pero siyempre si Manong Driver na yung nagsusukli.. ;)

  2. The fact that you could get anything no matter what time of the day/night it is. You could get starbucks, fast food, yosi, comedy bar stints, and hundred and one other stuffs. While Bangkok might have the Lion's share of 24 hours 7-11 stores, Manila is not too far behind.

  3. Philippine sense of fashion.. Sa gitna ng kainitan ng araw (average 36 degree celcius scorching heat), the men/women/gay/bisexual/lesbian community will never fail to showcase their sense of style with scarves, layered outfits, fur coats, boots, and many more. Tiis-ganda as they may call it.

  4. Tag-lish (La Salle style).. with the thriving number of call center agents roaming around Manila, it is no wonder a lot of these young professionals try hard to be hip and smart with their newly-found power on using the English Language. I once went into the mall where everywhere I go, people speaks in taglish pa-sosyal style and I was like, ok, I don't belong here, my nose and arms might bleed in no time. In the UK, I hate Filipinos who speaks English kahit kasama na yung kapwa nila Pilipino and tries hard to emulate an accent or something --- naaaaahhhh.., not for me.If you're good in English, you don't have to flaunt it publicly – so give me a break.

  5. Balot. Chicharon. Crispy Pata (Meycauayan style), Kare-Kare (with sobrang daming peanut butter!), pastel ni Mommy, isaw na may sabaw ni Tita Lily, Empanada, Shawarma sa SM Marilao na maraming cheese.. the list goes on and on and on..

  1. JOLLIBEE. 9 powerful letters. It means a whole lot to me. From Palabok to Spaghetti to Isa Pa, Isa Pa, Isa pang chicken joy.. And to think I work there for two months – greeeting everyone everyday – GOOD MORNING MA'AM/SIR WELCOME TO JOLI-BEE HAPPY..!

  2. The fact na kapag maputi ka, guapo ka pero hanggang Balintawak Exit (NLEX) lang, kasi pag labas nun, the real competetion goes on! Hahaha.

  3. The Forwarded text message from your friends/textmates – from funny quotes/jokes to movie taglines to everything you could ever imagine. Kasi nga naka-unlimited lahat ng tao.. So, text lang all you can.

But much more than this, it is the sense of belonging that makes it all worthwhile. And where better else is to find it than your own home – where your true family is – who will always be there no matter how long you've been gone – loving you and caring for you in every step of your journey. They will never fail to show you that NO MATTER HOW SEASONS MIGHT CHANGE, SOME THINGS WILL ALWAYS REMAIN THE SAME.. And that includes your family – where your heart will always go home to..

And the joy it will bring you would cost a hundred times more than that £700 fare that you initially paid for... end of story. Pak!

No comments:

Post a Comment