Monday 30 May 2011

Book Review: Eat, Pray and Love by Elizabeth Gilbert


For the past few weeks, books have been my only confidante, my best friend and my soulmate. Amidst the chaotic ramblings of my mind, they have offered a sense of companionship no other man can offer. They have been non-judgmental despite my shortcomings and misdemeanors. They stayed with me through every tube journeys, drudging night shifts in the hospital, and moments of occasional psychosis. These manuscripts have been a source of inspiration and in the vein, it has kept my sanity intact. Without which, I might have lost it altogether. Uncunningly, every trip to the bookstore has proved worthwhile. The smell of a new book thrills me like a young child awaiting to get his balloon after a Sunday Mass. It has taken me to new heights – away from everyone. I felt safe again – under every letter from A to Z of every book's hologram.

Eat, Pray and Love has started this addiction. Serving as a platform for the Julia Robert's movie, I am a fan of anything that tackles the subject of self-discovery or go-isolate-and-f*ck-yourself-until-you-know-what-you-want kind of story. The book has outshined the actual Hollywood movie. The tongue-in-cheek details of the E. Gilbert's life story never fails to enthrall and fascinate the avid reader. After a few pages, I began to regard it as a travel blog and love story merged into one. Towards the middle, I found myself humming words like “Attraversiamo” which translates “Let's cross over” in Italian. I was mumbling these foreign phrases whilst I was in the tube that other passengers might have thought that a severely attention-seeking psychopath was in their midst. I couldn't care less. I couldn't care any lesser. After all, I was transcended into another world – the author's that is – a world of infinite realm of possibilities in the phase of travelling in deep thought and realization.

By the end of it, she lets herself get carried away by her older but wiser Brazilian lover. She hesitated for one moment but helplessly conceded in the process. She adhered to her heart's desire. She gave in to love. I acquise to her compelling life-changing decision. And so will I. Then there's only one thing to do – Attraversiamo... Let's cross over!


No comments:

Post a Comment