Thursday 26 May 2011

Rhodes: Mia Thési̱ Ston Ilio (A Place in the Sun)





When I think of Greece, I only think of two places to go: Athens and Santorini. Athens, being the capital will surely enamour every traveller with its ancient monuments and traditions. Having been known as a melting pot of civilization, it will satisfy anyone's penchant for Greek Mythology or anything Greek for that matter – from Greek food (the eat-until-you-feel-like-vomitting experience) to Greek luxury package holidays (read:all inclusive) to Greek “sizzling hot” men/women with aquiline noses and bodies that will surely guarantee not just a second but a third look.

On the other hand, Santorini is famed for its picturesque views that are jaw-dropping (Tagalog term: tulo-laway). Notable as the location for the Filipino movie “For the First Time” (yep, I watched this and im definitely jologs!), everyone who realized that I'm heading to Greece felt thwarted that I'm not goin' to Santorini (my twitter account can testify to this!).

Why Rhodes then? Well, I just came across the website at onthebeach.co.uk which really offered all-inclusive cheap holidays abroad and they suggested Rhodes. Being tired of city tours, I opted for a real vacation without the pressures of having to roam around the city with your limited time schedule. So like a lottery-type overturn of fortunes, Rhodes seemed to be reasonable and enticing enough to be the next leisure loco-motion. Unsurprisingly, they said its a second-rate island holiday for anyone who can't afford the more renown island of Santorini.

I despise this.

It exceeded my expectations. First, the Greek foods are to die for. I'm telling you that I absolutely hated vegetables or anythin healthy for that matter. But Greek foods are the only exception - just don't take off the feta cheese. In addition, gluttony is the name of the game with all-inclusive holidays where you get buffet meals three times a day (not to mention unlimited drinks/snacks/cocktails/booze).

And whoever thought that Asian hospitality is the best seriously needs to re-learn what that word really meant. Those smiles and welcoming/assisting hands are definitely not simulated. Add together the fact that they're down-to-earth good-looking (I hate people who know they're attractive and flaunt it!), it's a win-win situation.

Lastly, the combination of the Old Town's charm and New Town's ultramodern twist will give you that feel-good impression that will leave you coming back every afternoon for more (just hanging around the old-town plaza is gratifying in an unexplainable kind of way). In line with this, this place is just a hop, skip and ride away from all the great beaches and nearby islands (did I mention that I'm going to see Turkey tom?!?)

In the vein, this unassuming island ticks all the right boxes. Currently, I'm just writing this blog in the patio of our hotel room with great views of the mountain and the seaside, relaxing at 11pm with the most ideal weather you could ever imagine. There was an old emblem which states “The Glory that was Greece”. And then it hit me, whoever quoted this would have been in the same exact position that I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment