Tuesday 28 June 2011

FEDERER and the Essence of LOSING


When you're down and out, you just want to get pumped up and leer towards potential sources of inspiration – in any possible place where you can find it – and I mean EVERYTHING – from your favorite childhood fictional character to your mom or dad or to your ultimate crush or lover.

Looking unto this, after a series of consecutive working days, I found myself going home without any hint of expedient provenance of enthusiasm. As I gander across the television, the world seems to recapitulate itself towards a vicious cycle of work and depression. Although the latter seems to maximize most of this revolutionary existentialism.

Then somehow, in a weird twist of fate, something struck me rather haltingly – WHAT THE F*CK! This would not be another one of those repressive nights where I attempt to dupe myself with alcohol or sex and the city DVD reruns. I need to overturn another series of my manic-depressive mood disorders.

I panicked. I choked. I recovered.

One thought. One person. One legend.

Name – ROGER FEDERER. A source of inspiration. Always been.

Having 16 grand slam titles under his belt, he is hailed as the greatest tennis player in history after breaking all records and vanquish achievements previously set by Pete Sampras and Bjorn Borg. Although he is currently ranked at no. 3, I reckon that this is his way on being modest on giving Nadal and Djokovic the chance to experience the top spot. Ooops! I just heard a series of scream from die-hard Nadal and Djokovic fans. Sorry. Kanya-kanya lang po yan!

But nonetheless, much more than his well-documented elegance and exquisite form on court (those backhand and service stance!), it is his demeanor and disposition off court which never fails to enthrall me. It is not confounding then that he is well-liked in every tournament and grand slam events. But in a larger scale, he is also revered for his exemplary contributions not only to his native Switzerland but also to his support to charitable and humanitarian events.

But what else is so endearing to Federer? The answer – I dont know. Maybe those hairy chest or those unusually large aquiline nose. Maybe the fact that he is damn good and knows how to hold his nerves under pressure.

Or maybe.. because he is capable of LOSING. Just like any other tennis player. Just like any of us. Just like you or me. He's not a demi-god.

He fails on some matches. But he proves again and again that he is still capable of producing marvellous and flawless tennis. He could still reign in Wimbledon or the tennis world at that matter.

I AM A LOSER. It took me a while to accept this. But I know I am. But I am also certain that I needed to stand up. I needed to brave the crucifying crowd in my midst and to rise above adversity.

I AM A LOSER. And somehow I am proud because life is continuous series of learning and taking risks. What breaks you makes you stronger.

I FELL. I STUMBLED. I CRASHED. I STAND ONCE MORE. ALWAYS ONCE MORE.

No comments:

Post a Comment