Monday 14 March 2011

DEFINING MOMENTS AND FAMILIES...





I have a thinking about families. We have all been raised and brought up differently. While others may scourn the way their very own family structure works, I was in a very good position to say in a "pageant-ly Q&A manner" that I WOULD NEVER CHANGE ANYTHING when it comes to my family. What I am now is a mere reflection of the past -- and a big part of it is my family.

It was amazing how my parents thought us about the antithetic lessons of life. We were moulded in an old-school Filipino fashion but with a taste of modern expedience. I really don't know how I am suppose to express myself in this one -- but the tandem of my mom and dad working together as parents is so perfect that I could not find any loopholes in this game called "parenthood". While it is impossible to completely narrate the anecdotes of my childhood, I would like to highlight some keypoints that I could vividly recollect.

WE WERE NEVER TOO POOR. And even in the phase of utter devastation because of hundreds and thousands of outstanding loans and unpaid credit cards, we never felt like we are poor. It takes absolute shrewdness for a parent to make sure their children never feel the financial strain despite the ongoing monetary instability issues.

We always get a "pasalubong" almost everyday from sbarro or KFC. We were getting enough allowances to carry on through our daily classes at school. We ate sumptuous meals then and again. We check-in at hotels at various occasions. My dad picked us up whenever and wherever we are (My youngest sister took advantage of this mostly!). We wore braces when we needed to. We could shop 'til we drop especially when we excel at school. We went on holidays in and out of the country. So who would dare say we are poor?!?

NADA.. Well, don't get me wrong but I'm not here to brag about the luxury or any piece of commodity that we have had. That is not the point. The point of enumerating all these is to serve as a reference and proof that my parents never deprived us of any good thing in this world. And yes, they gave us heaven and earth and move their asses from one place to another just to sell a piece of jewelry and maintain the kind of lifestyle that we have always experienced. And one of my goals is that one day, my parents could read this particular blog and illicit a smile or a tear on their eye because they knew that they did a MAGNIFICENT job in raising four kids in the time where times are constantly changing and when everything has a price tag.

But you know what the funny thing is, WE WERE NEVER RICH EITHER. My parents never made us feel that we were a cut-above-the-rest financially. We were asked to do household chores. I always run errands for my mom to go to "Bayan" (Meycauayan City). We were taught about the value of money without really imposing us that we have to save money and earn some extra ones so we could help them out in the future. Say, for instance, when I graduated, I never heard my parents telling me to extend help to my sister which was studying in university that time. And yes, I do help them as much as I could these days. But I did it.. Not because of obligation. IT WAS A CHOICE. Some things are better done out of love rather than out of obligation.

We do live in a bungalow - not in a mansion. Nothing spectacular. But my dad adorns our house with Christmas lights and decorations that make us feel that we are the richest family in the subdivision. ;)

I remember my dad telling me about the importance of being good-natured and charitable especially in out neighborhood. He narrates, "Anak, alam mo hindi tayo 'yung pinakamayaman dito sa subdivision pero kapag may mga emergency sa baranggay. Sa 'tin sila lumalapit kasi alam nila na maaasahan tayo at mabubuti tayong tao. At kung may listahan lang ng pinakamaraming kasal or kumpil or binyag na pinag-ninang/ninong-an, panalo na tayo. Kaya dapat marunong kang makisama at makipag kapwa-tao..". I really look up to my dad when it comes to these things. It is something that I am naive or completely lacking of. I am more of an introvert or a suffer-in-silence sort of person. But it was during this DEFINING MOMENTS, that I said to myself.. THANK YOU LORD AT BINIGAY MO KO SA PAMILYA ROQUE...

I wouldn't have it any other way. Even Prince Charles wouldn't stand a chance...

No comments:

Post a Comment